“A honeymoon is like a blue lagoon; divinely beautiful, with a mimicry of all heaven in its deeps, blinding sweet in the sun, and almost intolerably comfortable in the moon.”
Rupert Hughes, Oscar-nominated American screenwriter
Your honeymoon is a time to rediscover each other, in a parallel universe of your own. With the overwhelm of wedding preparation left behind, a time of togetherness may be arranged by the couple, or even a close friend or family member. The Desi Bride team has handpicked the best honeymoon destinations (or romantic vacation spots) in 2022. So, let’s delve into the top honeymoon destinations around the world – from exotic environments to sunny sojourns.
One - Romantic Rendezvous for the Lovebirds
- Indonesia – World’s largest island country, Indonesia is a celebration of diverse cultures and the beauty of nature in all its magnificence. Coupled with exotic beaches and tropical rainforests, Indonesia is for the honeymooners looking to indulge their dreamy persona. Such is the mystique that even Jennifer Lawrence and Cooke Maroney went to Indonesia’s luxe Nihi Sumba resort for their honeymoon whilst Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan and our very own Lara Dutta and Mahesh Bhupathi opted for the beauty of Bali for honeymoon.
Places to see: The corals of Komodo, Ijen volcano at Banyuwangi, and sailing at Banda Islands – Indonesia has a lot to offer those who want to surround themselves with the beauty of nature. Bali is a romantic escape with its breathtaking beaches whereas Belitung Island is as enchanting as they come.
Best time to visit: April to October
Source: Sumba Foundation
- Japan – Your honeymoon trip to Japan would be equal parts memorable and awe-inspiring, to say the least. Whilst you set out to explore the cultural heart of the nation, you will be engulfed by its treasure trove of scenic beauty as well.
Places to see: The bustling streets of Tokyo and the historical heart of Japan, Kyoto make for a quaint yet charming pair whereas Osaka is home to one of the world’s largest aquariums. The historic monuments of ancient Nara and the winter sports hotspot Hokkaido complement the island paradise of Okinawa.
Best time to visit: Spring season (March to May) and Autumn (September to November)
Source: Go To Kyo
- Greece – Greece greets you with picturesque alleyways and dreamy sunsets together with its illustrious heritage. From secluded beaches to vibrant nightlife, honeymooners can indulge as they wish here.
Places to see: Athens needs no introduction for lovestruck travelers while Santorini is for those postcard lovers. Such is the charm of the island. Enjoy the beaches of Mykonos and soak in the calm environment of Plaka. Rhodes Island is the place for bright blue skies and sunshine whereas Crete has beaches, snow-clad mountains, valleys, and great connectivity with three airports. History enthusiasts can travel to Delphi for the ancient ruins.
Best time to visit: Spring season (April to early June) and Autumn (September to October)
Source: The Culture Trip
Two – Popular Spots for those who have dreams of their perfect honeymoon
- Maldives – A picture-perfect honeymoon getaway, Maldives is a popular honeymoon destination, and a breath-taking one. Sun-kissed beaches and cerulean waters vie for your attention. This is one place where you can make your own memories, even in spite of its popularity amongst celebrities. Speaking of, did you know that Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner, and Josh Duhamel and Fergie chose magical as their honeymoon destination. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes also succumbed to Maldive’s charms. Not to mention Malaika Arora and Arbaaz Khan, Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover and Zaheer Khan and Sagarika Ghatge. Quite a list indeed!
Places to see: Male Atoll is the largest city of Maldives whereas the serenity and clear lagoons of Fulhadhoo Island is a sight to behold. Male City is the capital of the island nation and boasts of pristine beaches and rich heritage. COMO Cocoa Island is an idyllic getaway and Vaadhoo Island boats of the beauty of the blue sea. Maafushi Island is a favorite among adventure lovers whereas Addu City is an urbane delight.
Best time to visit: November to April
- Italy – So alluring is Italy that it seems on everybody’s bucket list. Did you know that Venice is counted among the world’s most romantic cities? An irresistible mix of old-world charm and modernity, from cruises to vineyards and much more, this is a place wrapped in romance. Take inspiration from Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth who chose Amalfi Coast as their honeymoon destination. And who can forget the glitz of George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin’s Venice wedding.
Places to see: Venetian Gondola ride in Venice, Tuscanian vineyards of Florence, stunning coastline of Naples, the mystique of Capri Islands, the setting of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet Verona, the glamour of the eternal city Rome – Italy never fails to impress. Not to mention the colorful houses of Amalfi Coast and the inverted Y-shaped Lake Como.
Best time to visit: Spring season (March to May) and autumn (September to November)
Source: CN Traveler
Three - Adventure Lovers Favorites for those who want to explore their fun side
- Iceland – An ethereal and somewhat dramatic choice for a honeymoon, this Nordic island nation is dotted with geysers, hot springs, and volcanoes. Consider glacier hiking, snorkeling, and scuba diving too apart from the star attraction of the Northern Lights and Blue Lagoon Spa.
Places to see: Don’t miss the Aurora Borealis during your winter visit whereas the summer couples can witness the midnight sun illuminating the country all day long. Sky-gazing apart, the world-famed Blue Lagoon Spa at Reykjavik is a unique experience. Don’t miss the geothermal spas and pools. Visit Iceland’s oldest swimming pools, the Secret Lagoon to treat yourself to outdoor bathing, geothermal field and mud pools, and steaming fumaroles. If the South Coast has mesmerizing waterfalls of Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss, then the northeastern region boasts of Dettifoss. Iceland’s glacial caves, like the Katla Ice Cave at the southern coast is another thrill-a-minute attraction.
Best time to visit: February to March and August to September for the Northern Lights
Source: Audley Travel
- Peru and the Galapagos – Could there be a more befitting match to the home of Amazon rainforests and ancient Incan city nestled in Andes mountains? That’s Peru for those newly-weds who seek both tranquillity and a slice of the adventurous life.
Places to see: Revisit a page of history at the majestic Machu Pichu and revert to the luxurious stays at Lima, the capital city with pre-Columbian art to boast of. The colonial era’s charm will beckon you at Arequipa and one of the world’s deepest canyons and a popular rafting spot at Colca Canyon would be a perfect contrast. Cusco’s architectural treasures bear testimony to the Inca ruins whereas Lake Titicaca is the highest navigable lake in the world.
Best time to visit: May to October
Source: Seal Super Yachts
- Tanzania – Honeymooning couples are in for a unique blend of wilderness and beaches in Tanzania with the iconic Mt. Kilimanjaro standing tall, which also happens to be Africa’s highest peak. Zanzibar is home to some of the best beaches in the world. All of this, minus the madding crowd of big cities. What’s more, heartthrobs Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel also chose this stunning spot for their honeymoon.
Best places to see: The Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater are the best places to spot the Big Five – lions, rhinos, elephants, buffaloes and leopards. Go deep-sea fishing on the quaintly-named Mafia Island. Crystal clear waters of Zanzibar also house dolphins whereas Selous Game Reserve offer boat safaris. Fancy that in the world’s largest fauna reserve along with dining under the stars.
Best time to visit: July to October
Source: Way Faire Travel
Four – Dual-tone places for those who thrive on contrasts
- Croatia – For couples who want the best of both worlds, Croatia offers wine bars, vibrant street festivals, local restaurants serving delicious food, and a splash of a cultural kaleidoscope.
Best places to see: Get ready to be fascinated by the cobblestone streets of Dubrovnik having a picturesque Adriatic backdrop, the secluded beach on Vis is acknowledged as one of the most beautiful beaches of the world, the nightlife of Hvar, seven towering waterfalls of the Krka National Park and cobbled streets of Rovinj.
Best time to visit: June to September
- Fiji – An island of beaches in solitude and 5-star resorts, Fiji’s tropical waters host a nation of happy people and multicultural influence. The charm of the private islands of Kokomo and the serenity of Six Senses Fiji Malolo Island are further enhanced by the warm and welcoming local community.
Best places to see: Get spoilt with choices amidst over 300 islands of Fiji. Couples can opt for an intimate 68-passenger Blue Lagoon cruise and enjoy the best islands and water activities too. Stay in traditional thatched bures with the locals at Viti Levu, go snorkeling at Yasawa Island whereas hiking enthusiasts can explore Taveuni.
Best time to visit: June to September
Source: The Culture Tree
Ending note for the honeymooners during the pandemic times
All of these honeymoon destinations have an endearing quality that is hard to resist. However, with the uncertainty of the pandemic still looming large, it is best to tread cautiously. A few steps are listed below:
- It is advisable to regard the country’s travel guidelines and safety protocols.
- Consult a recognized travel agency for the bookings and information on COVID-19 restrictions.
- Avoid burnout or fatigue by staying as close to nature as possible. Talk to your partner about their perception of traveling at this time and respect their decision.
- Don’t be disappointed by the limited availability or cancellation of excursions. Instead, learn to adapt and enjoy relaxing and improvising.
- It is important to be fully vaccinated before undertaking international travel.
Planning Your Fairytale Indian Wedding in Texas? Here are some resources that you will find helpful.
Top Indian Wedding Dance Choreographers in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin
Top South Asian Wedding Decorators & Florists in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin
Top Desi Wedding DJs in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin
Top Desi Wedding Hair & Makeup Artists in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin
Top South Asian Wedding Henna Artists in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin
Top Desi & Interracial Wedding Planners in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin
Top Indian Wedding Photographers & Videographers in Texas
Top Desi Wedding Card and Indian Wedding Invitation Vendors in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin
Top South Asian Wedding Venues in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin
Top South Asian Wedding Baraat Vendors in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin
Top South Asian Wedding Cake & Dessert Vendors in Texas - Dallas, Houston, Austin